12/08/2011 10:02:00 AM

2011 Year in Review

We're not dead!  I've just been busy with other things, and haven't updated in what...like 3 months?  I've recently noticed that some of my other friends have been following the same trend lately, so I guess we're all trying to find a little balance.  But since my Christmas cards direct people here, I figured I'd better get it in gear!  Here's what we've been up to in 2011:

Nick and David really started to play well together this year--probably had something to do with David being a little older and less of a baby!  Here they are playing at the diner.  Isn't David the cutest fry cook ever??


In March, I took the boys to Portland to visit my sister Ashley and see her new baby Ian.  Nick and David had fun with Lydia and Luke.  We went to the Portland Zoo on one of the days, which the boys loved.


Nick graduated from preschool at the end of May.  He LOVED his teacher Miss Shannon, and had withdrawls all summer.

In June, we went to Idaho to see my brother Aaron, who had just gotten back from his mission in Detroit.  We stayed a little longer than everyone else, just because we could--one of the perks of teaching is having your summer off!  We did a little fishing, and got in on a small cattle drive near the reservoir.  The boys were impressed with the cowboys.

We also saw a couple of bears near the reservoir--almost like Yellowstone!

Nick turned five at the end of June and had a CARS party.  Grandma Kristie went above and beyond and made a Lightning McQueen cake.  You can imagine what a big hit it was!

We also did a lot of swimming this summer, in an effort to convince Nick to learn to swim without a life jacket.  He's always been a little hesitant about the water, but he actually was interested in the idea.  I think it helped that his best friend Kimball could swim without one--a little positive peer pressure! 

We went camping at Mount Charleston, which is only about half an hour away, but is a lot higher in elevation.  It's nice to escape the heat of the Vegas summers!  The boys are now big fans of camping, and occasionally get their sleeping bags and set up a little campsite in the playroom.  I'd be an even bigger fan of going camping if it involved less dirt and more indoor plumbing! 

Because the boys loved camping so much, we went camping for David's 2nd birthday.  Here are my cute boys eating birthday cake. 

My baby started Kindergarten this year! We made the decision to put him in a brand-new charter school across town, rather than in the public school down the street. Best decision we ever made! His teacher is WONDERFUL, the environment is great, and although I don't love the drive, at least I only have to do it once a day. He didn't want to go to Kindergarten initially, and I was afraid he was going to be the crying kid on the first day. But once we got to the school and found his best friend Kimball, he was like, "See you later, Mom!" Here are the two amigos on their first day:

After school started, Nick told me he wanted to take swimming lessons and learn to swim without a life jacket.  We did a few private lessons, and sure enough, he started swimming!  He could still use a few more, as he occasionally starts sinking, but for the most part, he's a little fish.

Here are my trick or treaters! After telling me for a year that he wanted to be Batman for Halloween, Nick suddenly decided he just HAD to be a ninja. David was a dog, although he would only wear his costume for short periods of time because it made him hot.

We spent Thanksgiving in San Antonio with all the family. Sea World and the Alamo were the highlights of the trip. Nick hasn't stopped talking about Davy Crockett since we got back. In fact, a coonskin cap is at the top of his Christmas list.


So that's our year--more of a travelogue than anything else, but there's not a whole lot else going on. I'm still working on building the library at Nick's school. Mike's still teaching and being Athletic Director at Centennial High School, and David's still hanging out with me. We are so grateful for our boys and the joy they bring us every day. Here's an example from just yesterday--a couple of Santas in the bathtub for you!

We hope the coming year brings you all many blessings and lots of joy.

3 comments:

Miss M said...

Yea for updates! Cute, cute boys. And I love that Nick was a ninja for Halloween, too. We should've hit up the parties together.

As always, miss you.

Kimberly said...

That Cars cake is fantastic!

Looks like you had a wonderful year. :)

shelly said...

You have such a great family, Becky! Wish we lived closer!