
My dad came down in October and helped me replace the sink and faucet. And now, five months later, I'm FINALLY finished with the kids' bathroom re-do. In the end, I put a new coat of paint on everything (yes, even the ceiling, the door, and the door frames). Beware the picture overload, but I'll give you the quick rundown, just in case any of you five that read this actually care :) I don't have a before picture, but basically, the walls were a tan color, and the shower curtain had jungle animals on it. It was cute, but I decided to go a little less juvenile and make use of the seashells and sand we've collected on our trips to the ocean. Thus, here is my beach-inspired bathroom:

I didn't want to do anything that necessarily screamed "beach," like a shower curtain with surfboards or anything, but I thought this shower curtain was sort of wave-like, and I liked the aqua color of it. Incidentally, Mike, my mom, and my sister Ashley all liked a different fabric...but I would have had to make the curtain myself. And after searching unsucessfully at JoAnn's for some additional fabric to match it, I just went with this one, which was the one I liked best to begin with. I got it at Target.

Speaking of shower curtains, I love these hooks I found, also at Target. There's a hook for the liner AND a hook for the curtain itself. Ingenious people at Target, I tell you.

Here's my faux beadboard. I say faux because it is...it's wallpaper. I can't say I absolutely love it, because I think it is going to get dinged up by my boys. But, it was a heck of a lot easier than trying to cut and install actual boards. This went up in about 15 minutes total--no exaggeration. It's that thick, almost foam-like wallpaper, and I got it at Home Depot. I topped it with molding from Home Depot, and I got the towel hooks at Walmart.

This is by far the cheapest update in the room--framing out the standard builders-grade mirror. I found the moulding for it at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. If you've never checked them out, I suggest you do. I paid a whopping THREE DOLLARS for this moulding. I would have paid close to $30 at Home Depot for the same stuff. You've got to love a deal that good. Anyway, framing it out was so simple. I just painted the moulding, cut it by hand with a miter box, and adhered it to the mirror with Liquid Nails. It took a couple of minutes for the glue to set, so I just held it in place, rather than trying to tape it in place or something. After it dried, I caulked the corners and touched up the paint. Voila! So easy. I'm going to do this in the master bathroom as well.

The vanity light that almost killed me.

New hardware on the cabinets. I'm debating about painting them. See, I told you I have a painting disease. I just really hate oak cabinets, I guess.

This is the shelf I installed over the door. It's a 7 inch-wide MDF board, and I just used some leftover 1x2s to secure it. If I had to do it over, I'd have used corbels instead. But, you live and learn, I guess. It has a basket with the other set of towels, some pictures of us at the beach, and then our collection of shells and sand. Obviously, it's more of a display shelf in here, but you could totally use it to gain some more storage space, which is what I might do in the master bath.

Nick collected all the sand and shells in the tall vase--they're from San Diego last summer. The smallest one (with sea glass) is what I collected in Puerto Rico. (Can I just say how much I love sea glass?) The starfish was given to us by some distant relation of Mike's when we were on our honeymoon in Sicily, and the other shells are from Newport Beach. Hopefully we'll get to the beach this summer and add another bottle to this collection.

This is the spot that's going to drive me crazy. I had to patch the grout because a piece of it chipped out when I was taking out the old baseboards. Now, this is the exact color of the grout in here. How do I know? Because I re-grouted my entire kitchen and this bathroom in 2008. And I sealed it all, too. Just goes to show you how impossible it is to keep light grout clean, no matter what you do. I'm debating about mixing some dirt in with the grout, to try to get it to look the same. In any event, this is why I would never personally choose light tile. The former owners chose this tile. When I chose tile for the hallway, I chose tile that was brown, the color of dirt. I love it. You can never tell how dirty it is, unlike this stuff.

Here's the boys having their first bath in the new room. They seem to approve!
10 comments:
Paint the vanity!!! Excellent re-do...I'm impressed with your mad skills. Oh, and I got my slipcover know-how from The Nester. She did her sectional and you could definitely handle it. Just get some help or it may take forever : )
Looks great, Becky!! I say paint the vanity, too. It shouldn't be too hard. :) Good job!!
LOVE it, especially the mirror and the shelf above the door. I wish I had space in my bathrooms to do something like that, but alas, I can't. You can help me dream up projects for my house when you come, I can't wait!
Love the beadboard! You go and paint that vanity and love it!
Way to go on the bathroom. I would have to agree on the tile choice comment, especially when it comes to grout. I spent 4 hours scrubbing the grout in my kitchen last week and it still isn't as light as it should be. I didn't choose the grout or the tile because if I did it would be the color of dirt. The bathroom looks great.
You are amazing Becky!! I am impressed I am related to someone so talented. I love it!!
Oh my gosh, I LOVE it! I'm totally going to frame around the mirror in my bathroom now, what a great idea! Thanks! I love your shells, so beautiful! You are so talented!
You continue to impress me with your incredible skills. The bathroom looks great.
Please, please, please come fix all the stuff I want updated in my house.
Marie--Find someone who'll come rescue me from my kids, and I'll GLADLY come paint/spackle/install/rip out/sew/re-do anything you want. These two are completely NUTS!!
Go Becky! It's a nice, peaceful room; probably perfect when you have two feisty little boys. :)
Post a Comment