7/16/2009 11:16:00 PM

Disappointed

*HP#6 Spoiler alert* Maybe I shouldn't re-read HP books anymore. It just leaves me disappointed when I see the movies. Why is it that they always either change or completely leave out my favorite parts? I liked the movie overall, and I especially liked that Ron was finally almost as funny in the movie as he is in the books. But where was Neville in this one? Neville is one of my favorite characters, and I think he maybe spoke once in this movie. As for my other major complaints, first off, where was the big show down at the end? The Death Eaters just show up and wander around wherever they want to, meeting no resistance? And what's up with Harry having to hide underneath the tower, and then Snape going out of his way to protect him? I preferred the book's version, where Snape killing Dumbledore comes out of left field. Even Mike, the total non-reader, thought that part was poorly done. And no funeral for Dumbledore?? I wanted to hear the merpeople singing, see the centaurs' shower of arrows, and have the tomb suddenly appear. Which reminds me, Dumbledore's wand was in his office at the end of the movie--how exactly is Voldemort going to try to gain possession of it in the next movie if it's sitting in the headmaster's office? He's supposed to break open the tomb, and said tomb is apparently non-existent. Any thoughts on how they're going to remedy that situation? And burning the Weasley's house down? Please. Okay, enough of my ranting. I think I just need the BBC to be in charge of making the film versions--they'd be impossibly long, but at least they'd be accurate representations of the books. This is why I only watch BBC productions of Jane Austen books. I just can't stand it when my favorite books get messed with.

5 comments:

Miss M said...

I have to say, sadly, that I agree with you. After the movie got over, the first thing I thought was, 'I shouldn't have re-read the book.' Oh well.

My only hope is that since the 7th book will be broken down in 2 movies that they will remedy all the mistakes from this one. And if not, I'll help you petition the BBC to remake the movies.

Jacilynn said...

LOL, I actually liked it up until the end. No big duel? what's up with there being no fight with the death eaters? Isn't that kinda the climax of the book??

Overall I enjoyed it. I definitely think they are getting better at making these movies. I wanted to talk to Matt about the movie afterwords and he just kept saying "I don't know" jeesh. I shoulda called you to discuss it. lol

Jut and Char said...

That is why I didn't re-read before watching. I was going to but Debbie told me not to. She said "if you do you will just be disappointed." She told me to wait a month or so after watching the movie to read the book again. After seeing it last night and reading your post, I am glad that I took her advice.
Char

Julianne said...

I love BBC! Couldn't live without it, or Netflix for that matter. Yeah, the movies always suck in my opinion, but I still love going to see them. At least Dumbledore is finally DEAD! He is the worst cast character ever.

Maria said...

I took Preston to see it this week. I was loving it until there was no big battle at the end. It is, though, one of my favorites up to this point. Most of it was well made.

Hope you are feeling ok! We missed you at the play last night.