I blame Jen. She got me hooked on checking www.grocerysmarts.com every week. If you've never seen/used the site, it basically links up the in-store specials with what coupons are available for those same products, and then it gives them a star rating, based on whether it's an okay deal/good deal/great deal. A lot of the coupons are printable off the Internet, so you don't even have to get a newspaper, although there are some great coupons in those, too. Anyway, I mainly started using it as a way to bulk up my food storage. I've just had this nagging feeling lately that I need to be better at doing food storage. (Questions about food storage? Here's my plug for www.providentliving.org) Anyway, this is a great way to get that 3-month supply of the stuff you eat regularly, and at great prices. For example, today there were great deals on cereal, among other things. Case in point: Today I went to Vons (otherwise known as Safeway in other states), and I bought the following: 1 package of Athenos feta cheese 3 lbs. London broil 2 Del Monte Fruit Natural cups 4 bars Dial soap 1 Arm & Hammer laundry detergent (I got hooked on the smell!) 1 jar honey 3 packages of Crystal Light drink mix 3 boxes Pasta Roni 2 boxes Fruit Roll-ups (Nick's favorite) 2 boxes Nature Valley granola bars 1 box Honey Nut Cheerios 1 box Cocoa Puffs 2 boxes Lucky Charms 2 boxes Kashi granola 2 boxes Kashi Go Lean cereal Original total: $94.77 What I spent: $33.66 That means I saved $61.11 by combining the in-store sales with the coupons I got off the Internet. For the 25 items I bought, that works out to $1.35 for each item, and it's all stuff that usually costs at least that, if not more (Kashi cereal is usually around $4 a box). And it only took me about 30 minutes to look at the website, print, and cut the coupons. The website will even print you a shopping list. The biggest problem is having the self-control to resist buying stuff you don't need, even if it's at a ridiculously low price. Sometimes stuff is almost free (the Del Monte fruit cups ended up being 25 cents a piece), so it's hard to pass it up. But, even if it's stuff you don't use, Jen gave me the idea of buying it anyway and then donating it to a food bank, shelter, etc. Since it's almost free, why not? It's good karma.
1 week ago
5 comments:
Sweet! Thanks for the website.
I'm so checking this out. Thanks for passing along the tips!
Good job Becky! Thanks for giving me the credit for getting you hooked :) I was just about to head to Von's myself for those great deals today. Next time take a picture of your groceries, the visual is even more shocking! I love it! Oh, and just wait until Nick starts bringing you random slips of paper and saying, "Here's your coupon Mom!" and fighting with little David over who gets to hold the coupons before we even get in the store! Ha ha!
I have been hooked too ever since you left this on my blog. :) Thanks for the great recommend!
I'm quite impressed. We're trying a new food budget thing so maybe this will help me save some moolah. Hopefully I will stay motivated for longer than a week....
Post a Comment